Monday, December 12, 2011

All Purpose Spray Cleaner

I've been trying to shuffle the harsh chemicals out of my house but I don't want to lose any cleaning power. I'm kind of a germophobe. Thank goodness we have some naturally strong stuff that won't mess your system up.

This spray gets used on everything in my house...counters, tub, toliet, sinks, door knobs, cabinet pulls. It smells pretty good to boot.

Here are the goods.



















White vinegar, tea tree oil, castile soap, hydrogen peroxide

The vinegar and tea tree oil are antibacterial, so I don't have to worry about this just cleaning the crud I can see and not the crud I can't see. Castile soap helps cut grease and any weird stains. Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleach so it disinfects.

With the exception of the castile soap, I got all this stuff at the local Wally World. Shhh, don't tell the other hippies I went there. If you're having trouble finding the tea tree oil, look in the vitamin aisle by the pharmacy. The castile soap I got from a health foods store .The Healthy Home Market in Charlotte is great, huge selection and multiple locations, love them!

Here's an article about why castile soap is a better choice than a lot of the "regular" soaps that are so widespread nowadays.
http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/221/1/Castile-soap.html

I have a spray bottle I got from Ikea for $1, whoot! I used sharpie to write my "recipe" on the bottle so when I need a new batch, I don't need to track it down on my computer.




















1 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon castile soap
1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide (yes, I used the chemical makeup, nerd power)
1 teaspoon tea tree oil

Dump it all in the bottle and shakeup. Bam. Instant cleaning power.

Cost breakdown
Water-Free!
Vinegar-$0.05
Castile soap-$0.02
Hydrogen peroxide-$0.02
Tea Tree Oil-$0.67

Total cost-$0.76

Not bad, saving money and the world!

Here's the site where I got my basic recipe from.
http://savvybrown.com/home/homemade-granite-marble-cleaner/

No comments:

Post a Comment